B/X Essentials: DowntimeWritten by Courtney Campbell.
This book is a rules / genre expansion for B/X Essentials that can be used in any fantasy campaign where the group wants to add some more detailed options for the time between adventures.
The traditional Basic/Expert rules largely focus on two things:
- Adventuring in dungeons.
- Adventuring in the wilderness.
The rules are, however, very sketchy on what characters do in between these two activities, upon returning to the safety of their home town. This book provides loads of options for fun (and profitable!) stuff to do in that period, inspired by Gary Gygax's famous admonishment: “YOU CAN NOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT”.
Here's a list of some of the stuff covered:
- Markets and haggling.
- Orgies and carousing.
- City navigation.
- Locating specialised mercenaries, hirelings, and side-kicks.
- Optional rules for training.
- Arena fights.
- Theft, crimes, and punishment.
- Detailed rules for consulting a sage.
- Gaining influence (political, economic, spiritual, etc).
- Constructing unique vehicles.
- Magical labs.
The draft text of the book is finished, and I'll be looking for proofreaders to look over it soon!